Mythbuster: Five common myths about a cloud-based data solution
Businesses in India and around the world are increasingly dependent on on-demand and real-time data and multimedia content. Content needs to be delivered via a multitude of applications and accessed across a wide range of devices by both internal and external customers. To manage this diversified set of heavy-bandwidth traffic, networks need to be sophisticated with complex parameters that can assign priorities, manage bandwidth and scale dynamically with demand.
Companies can invest in the infrastructure and recruit a team of skilled experts to manage and monitor the network.
Or they can just move to the cloud. Using cloud services for your enterprise data network can allow your business to work smarter and more efficiently, creating a competitive edge.
Here are some misconceptions and the real story about using cloud based data solutions for your enterprise.
- It is expensive: In fact switching to the cloud completely cuts out the high cost of hardware such as servers and network infrastructure. Businesses simply pay a monthly fee that’s friendly to the cash flow statement, and dramatically reduce capital infrastructure costs. Costs associated with setup, training and management too are eliminated. Network and configuration changes can often be made by non-specialist staff via an easy-to-use self-service portal, thereby reducing network maintenance and servicing costs as well.
- It needs specialist equipment: Cloud-based services eliminate the need for specialist network equipment and leased lines as all of this equipment is now moved to the service provider. Employees and even customers can access the data services they need with their own or work computers, tablets and mobile devices.
- You’re stuck with a static network that cannot scale with your needs: Today’s fast-paced business environment means fast growth and dynamic changes in bandwidth needs. Whether you need to quickly add another user, scale up capacity to transfer that large video or integrate a new supplier into your system, you need a data infrastructure that responds quickly to your needs. Cloud services are in fact the ideal option for businesses with growing or fluctuating bandwidth demands. Capacity can be easily scaled up using the service’s remote servers. Scaling down too can be done quickly and easily in the same way. This responsiveness makes the network a valuable business asset, as opposed to an infrastructural constraint.
- Your data is not secure: Cloud based data solutions are far more secure than traditional ‘on-site’ infrastructure. Hosted data solutions use far greater levels of security and encryption than a typical enterprise, making it harder for hackers or malcontents to gain access to your sensitive data. The protection extends even to company devices such as laptops, which can be remotely wiped clean of sensitive data if lost or stolen. Businesses cannot control the impact of acts of God such as floods and should invest in robust disaster recovery, but the cost and complexities involved often lead to this aspect being neglected. A cloud-based backup and disaster recovery solution can be easily implemented and managed, reducing risk and increasing business resilience.
- Network becomes slow: While individual businesses often need to compromise on connection speeds depending on budgets and the availability of high-speed DSL lines, cloud-based data systems have extremely high-speed carrier-grade connectivity. They also have sophisticated traffic prioritisation and management systems that are often out of the reach of individual enterprises to ensure that different categories of traffic are managed appropriately. Making the transfer of data and multimedia files extremely fast and improving quality of experience dramatically.
Adopting a cloud-based data solution offers real agility and efficiency, and is a compelling option to better compete.
Our Managed Hosting Services ensure that enterprises have complete control over their critical business data and applications. Managed Hosting Services provide a secure, reliable and flexible hosting and storage environment with the use of secure cloud hosting services to support dynamic business needs through a wide range of predefined, dedicated computing resources with customised resources. The key benefit of Managed Hosting solutions is that it helps enterprises keep a watch on all their business data.